Opportunity
Most people in today’s society are connected through social media. Either through their phones, watching TV, surfing the Internet, or viewing advertisements. In doing so, celebrities pop up frequently. Since there are so many celebrities these days, it is very difficult to keep up with their names and people tend to draw a blank. While the need to know celebrities names may be more important to people ranging from ages 10-30, middle-aged people care as well. It can drive anyone crazy, no matter the topic, when someone’s name is on the tip of their tongue but they simply cannot remember it.
Some of the forces or changes in the environment that are creating this opportunity are:
- · Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.)
- · More TV series (due to platforms such as Netflix)
- · Movies
- · Advertisements (in newspapers, commercials, billboards, etc.)
Customers are currently satisfying their need of knowing who is who by either asking the people around them or searching on Google. However, there is always room for improvement.
Innovation
My business, CelebMe, is an app that allows you to take a picture of a celebrity (either in person, off a TV screen, from an advertisement, etc.), upload that picture to the app, and the app will identify the name of the celebrity for you. Many people say can’t Google do this for me? While yes, you can try and think of things related to the celebrity and type them into Google, my app is much simpler. Lets say you don’t know anything about the celebrity. You happen to see their face and are curious what their name is; my app will have an answer for you while Google will not. On the app store there will be two versions of CelebMe. One version of CelebMe will cost $1.29 and advertisements will pop up every now and then. The second version of CelebMe will cost $3.99, and no advertisements will appear. This way, I make money off both options and allow my customers to choose their preferred version.
Venture Concept
CelebMe will solve the opportunity listed above by quickly providing people with answers. Many people these days are focused on convenience. My app can provide you the answer you have been thinking about for an hour, in one minute.
I believe customers would switch to my app from Google because my app is easier. Instead of having to type a bunch of key words into Google so that it can recognize whom you are talking about, you can just simply upload a picture to my app. Since convenience is currently such a high priority in society, I definitely think people will switch over.
I think my price point is very fair and that people will be willing to spend that amount of money. People spend $1.29 for songs and games all day, so I believe they will be willing to spend that same money on an app that can provide them answers quickly. From personal experience, and those I have interviewed, it can drive you crazy when you cannot think of someone’s name. Therefore, spending $1.29 on something that can quickly provide you the correct answer is definitely worth it.
In order to support my business, I will need a few staff members. I will need someone in charge of the finances, advertisements, marketing, and the coding of the app. Having strong employees in those four areas will aid my business in success.
Three Minor Elements
Most Important Resource:
I believe my most important resource will be my technology team and coder. Without them, my app is just an idea. This team will make my app come to life and give me the ability to turn CelebMe into a real company. In order to make it difficult for people to copy my business, I will file for a patent on the technology. Therefore, I will at least have a period of time without many competitors. However, if the patent does not go through, hopefully by the time competing apps come out my app will already be successful so that it is the highest rated on the app store. Therefore, if someone types in my app, mine will be the first to pop up as opposed to my competitors. I know from personal experience, that I typically buy the first app that comes up from my search as that usually means it has the highest ratings.
What’s Next For The Venture:
Next, I want to add more features to my app so that my customers can use the app for more than just identifying celebrities. I want my app to be able to recognize brand logos, famous landmarks, famous artwork, and more. This way, my app is even more convenient for more people and my market of customers can expand.
What’s Next For Me:
In five years, I hope to have successfully programmed my app and launched my company. Although CelebMe will most likely be in the beginning phases, I hope to have a decent amount of purchases and downloads. Additionally, I hope to sell my company. While I hope CelebMe is successful, I do not see this venture as my life long goal. Therefore, I hope to sell my company and continue with my career.
As an entrepreneur, I simply hope to be successful. While I hope to be successful from this venture, if I am not that is okay too. I am determined to do whatever it takes to succeed regardless of what business or venture concept my success comes from.
Feedback
Students that commented on my Venture Concept No. 1 really liked my idea and how I explained it. Some, however, believe that my app may not be used too often because of google. Hopefully after re-reading my venture concept people can see how google and my app differentiate. Additionally, students also agree with me that it is a smart decision to sell CelebMe within the next 5 years.
Changes
I updated my venture concept by further explaining how my app differentiates from google. I also expanded upon my "what's next" strategy. Hopefully these clarifications and changes help explain my venture concept better.

I like this idea because I'm definitely one of those people who will draw a blank, or I know the person but don't know where from, so I waste time looking them up on IMDB or whatever to find out what else they've done/ starred in. One question I have though is would this be an app you pay for or would it be free? I guess I'm interested to see how it would make money. Cool idea though!
ReplyDeleteHi Juliana, great job on your blog post! I really enjoyed learning more about your venture. It sounds like you could probably turn this into a fairly successful venture, given our society's obsession with celebrity culture and instant gratification. It sounds like Shazam but for famous people's faces, haha. I wonder what they would think about people being able to run facial recognition on them anytime they're out in public, but I guess they would expect it to come with the territory. It would be a convenient way to find out who someone is, though. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIf you would like to check out my "Venture Concept No. 2" blog post, you can find it by following this link: http://entrepreneurshipbyisa.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2-week-15.html
Hi, Juliana. You explained your venture very well and it sounds like with the right momentum you could make this into something very successful. I am a little skeptical about how many people would use it rather than other search engines, so you'll want to continue to capitalize on that as you further develop your business model. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteHere is the URL to my blog post:
http://rolononariver.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html
Hello Juliana!
ReplyDeleteGreat job completing this post! You venture concept is extremely detailed and interesting. I especially like the uniqueness of your idea. Throughout the course of the semester I have read a ton about people's ideas and I must say this is very original and unlike anything I have seen so far. I created an app as well and think it is one of the easiest but most effective ways to create a business or service in a world where nearly everything is related to or involved with technology and social media.
Here is my venture concept: http://mariakongosfirstblogever.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html