Monday, April 4, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 

     This past semester, I failed to declare 2 assignments. I did both assignments in time, but forgot to log onto Canvas and actually declare them. I was very upset over this because I didn't think it was fair that I took the time to do all of the work and still not receive credit. However, I realized that this was the platform of the class and it was completely my responsibility to remember to declare my own assignments. While I was very angry at myself for forgetting, I have learned from my mistake and moved on.

2) Tell us what you learned from it.

     I consider myself to be a very organized person. From this experience I learned that even the most organized people can forget to do things sometimes. From then on, I made a clear schedule of all of the assignments due dates and checked them off each time they were completed. Since then, I have yet to miss an assignment.

3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were four months ago?  

     Failure is a very difficult thing to deal with. I haven't experienced too much failure in my life thus far, however, I do not handle failure particularly well. When I work really hard and still fail, it's extremely demoralizing and it makes me angry. However, I have learned that it only makes you stronger and it helps you improve for the next time. Therefore, I have come to terms with failure and am able to handle it much better than before. After taking this class, I have learned that it is okay to fail- sometimes even encouraged. I am definitely more likely to take risks than I was 4 months ago.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Juliana, I completely understand what you mean about the declaration of assignments on Canvas even though you have done them. I once almost forgot to declare an assignment but thankfully remembered right before the deadline. I'm glad you were able to learn from your mistakes however, I think that's the best thing to do when you mess up and then move on because there's no point in dwelling on problems. Check out my fail http://carolinalafuent3003.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Juliana, that sounds super frustrating knowing that you did something right and took the time to do it and then a simple slip of the mind and you do not receive credit. Great job with using your organization to be on top of the class for the rest of the semester. I agree, that because of this class I am also more likely to take risks. Check out my blog: http://thedailyschlak.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Juliana,
    I’m very impressed that you did all of the assignment. A lot of the people in this class with whom I speak have missed sever posts (myself included). I understand where you are coming from. Completing work and not receiving credit for it can be very frustrating. You seem to be a very organized person so I doubt something like this will reoccur. Best of luck with the rest of the semester!
    Here’s a link to my post if you’re interested: http://madiganent.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete